Latest Version 2.4.7

Is it possible to still access the documentation for 2.4.6? I have used it in link for internal documents, also this is the branch I am using, am I safe to just use the 2.4.7 documentation?
Also you list 2.5.0-alpha.1 as latest release yet the date on updates is aug 22 and 2.4.7 is jan 2024, slightly confused

Hi,

Note: I am not a maintainer, the below is my informed opinion.

I’ll address the second part of your comment first.

v2.5.0-alpha.1 should effectively be ignored. In the very near future I’d expect those branches / tags to be deleted.

It is possible to conduct a local build of the docs. I did this somewhat recently, but I can’t remember how to do this off of the top of my head. I’m going to remind myself how to do a local build this evening, and then I can give some better guidance for anyone who urgently requires the v2.4.6 docs.

I believe the opencpi.gitlab.io site is autogenerated for the most recent patch releases, so since the v2.4.7 tags have been pushed it has become the newest patch and v2.4.6 has fallen off. Ideally, I think the v2.4.6 docs should continue to be built for some time whilst people move over.

However, the vast majority of the documentation for v2.4.7 should apply to v2.4.6. No huge core changes were made between the versions AFAIK. Things that are likely to differ:

• New command line flags to tools such as ocpidev.
  • Various fixes to punctuation, grammar, formatting.
  • Some examples in the docs were incorrect and were fixed.

Many thanks for the quick response :grinning:

Took longer than I hoped, but here we go.

I have created a Dockerfile and Makefile that together will run a build of the v2.4.6 documentation and dump it back into your system.

The code can be found here:

Simply:

• Install docker or podman, as well as git.
  • Clone this repository.
  • cd tools/opencpi-docs-builder
  • make build
  • Wait a while until it’s done (it’ll be at tools/opencpi-docs-builder/releases).

One thing I didn’t get working was all of the OSPs documentation. They were missing in my final HTML dump.

Also, navigating the HTML is a bit janky, as all the links are directories. So you end up having to click each link twice, but it still works.

Finally, in working through this I had to fix a few formatting problems in some .tex files to avoid the build script crashing. I’ll probably contribute these at some point.

There is a 1GB storage limit to Gitlab pages where our documentation is hosted. Due to this limit we cannot place multiple versions of our documentation.

For the most part the documents have not changed between 2.4.6 and 2.4.7

We are updating how we are doing our releases:

• removing 2.5 release
  • incremental releases, next one is 2.4.8

We plan on removing the 2.5.0-alpha.1 documentation from our documentation site.

As for the previous documentation. You can pull prebuilt documents from our documentation pipeline artifacts: Previous Docs

An overhaul of how our documentation is generated is needed. I agree ideally 2.4.6 should be a version that is still accessible through the site.

Hi,

I noticed the 2.4.7 tag was moved to include a small fix. Is 2.4.7 considered released now?

Not yet. An official announcement for 2.4.7 is imminent were just doing final testing on OSPs.

The tutorial documents all need an uplift to match latest framework changes…

The tutorial documentation (Tutorial 6 and other tutorials) states that the command “OpenCPIdev create component peak_detector” creates a component spec called “peak_detector-spec.xml” in components/peak_detector.comp/. However, OpenCPI v2.4.7 creates a component spec called peak_detector-comp.xml. This change makes sense as it should avoid confusion with other xml files, however the documentation should be updated as soon as possible. This change to the framework prevents previously working project build scripts from working on v2.4.7.

There a similar issue with the command “OpenCPIdev create worker peak_detector.hdl” where the latest framework creates “peak_detector-hdl.xml” instead of peak_detector.xml.

I think there’s some other knock-on impacts to asset components (relating to the framework changes) which I’ll cover on a separate thread.